Get the IMD 2019 QGIS Map Project

You can use this project to create your own IMD2019 maps

A Complete QGIS Project for Mapping IMD 2019

This is just a simple web page where you can download a complete, packaged QGIS project (2GB, zip file) that you can then use in QGIS to recreate the IMD 2019 maps I created for the release of the new English Indices of Deprivation on 26 September 2019. This project will allow users to recreate my maps (minus the MHCLG logo) and also edit anything they want to. You need to have experience with QGIS in order to use this project. All map layers are included in the download. Some useful information:

• This project was created in QGIS3.4 on Windows
  • Once unzipped, it should open without any problems
  • I put an information notice on the map window, by way of explanation
  • You will probably have to turn the Atlas on in Print Layout before you see things properly
  • Make sure you read the information notice about the files
  • This was all created with open data but make sure you also read the licence notice

What's the idea behind all this?

I wanted to bring more clarity, consistency and comparability to the mapping of this important national dataset for England, and the maps I produced are the result. I thought it would be useful to share the data and project I used to create it so that any other interested users could benefit from it. This is not an official MHCLG output, but it does allow users to recreate the IMD 2019 map outputs I created in collaboration with the team at MHCLG.

Contact me

If you really get stuck with any of this, feel free to contact me (Alasdair Rae, University of Sheffield) and I'll try to help if I can. In the first instance, it's probably just best to download the entire project, unzip it and then have a play around with it.